Gelled Cherry Rum and Coke Shots are not something I thought I would make during my gelatin recipe series. We really aren’t big drinkers, but as I asked friends for gelatin recipes, several mentioned “Jello Shots.” After the fourth person suggested that I make “jello shots,” I decided that while it might be possible to try 30 different gelatin recipes without giving “jello shots” a try, it might not be fair to my readers who might enjoy them.Jump to Recipe
I have seen bottles of cherry rum in the store, and I have seen cherry coke, too. Gelled Cherry Rum and Coke Shots seemed like a logical combination.
What will you need to prepare this recipe?
From the Pantry:
- Cherry Gelatin Dessert Mix (Regular or Sugar Free)
- Cola (Regular or Sugar Free)
- Rum (You might not keep this in your pantry, but since I don’t have a bar, that’s where you will find my bottle of rum.)
My instructions for making this is different from most recipes because they recommend dissolving the gelatin in a small amount of boiled cola rather than using boiled water. We opted to do things this way in case someone wants to use sugar free cola. (Sugar free cola can become bitter if it’s boiled, depending upon which artificial sweetener is used in its manufacture.)
This was my first time making “jello shots,” and I thought that the Gelled Cherry Rum and Coke Shots were a little strong with Rum, but as I said at the beginning of this post, I’m not a big drinker. Actually, I seldom drink alcoholic beverages. I might not be a good judge of what’s too strong or not. I was happy with my Cherry Cola Gelatin without any rum.
Give our recipe for Gelled Cherry Rum and Coke a try and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
Thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
Gelled Cherry Rum and Coke Shots
- 1 8 serving box cherry gelatin dessert mix regular or sugar free ($0.78)
- ½ cup boiling hot water
- 2½ cups cola regular or diet ($0.79)
- 1 cup rum ($6.98)
- maraschino cherries (optional, for garnish)
- Mix cherry gelatin dessert mix with ½ cup boiling hot water in a 1 quart sized measuring cup or pitcher with a spout.
- Stir for about 2 minutes until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Add 2 ½ cups cola slowly to the gelatin mixture. Mixture will foam up quite a bit.
- Stir until well incorporated.
- Add rum to cola and gelatin mixture.
- Mix well to fully combine. There will still be foam on top of the mixture.
- Arrange 2 ounce portion cups in a baking pan.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into 2 ounce portion cups.
- Place the lids on the portion cups if desired. (I did this, so I could stack the shots on top of each other in the pan while they chilled in the fridge.)
- Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to fully congeal. (I would make these the day before if I wanted them for a party to ensure they were fully set.)
Nutrition information below is for one shot prepared according to the recipe above using regular cherry gelatin dessert mix and regular cola.
Nutrition information below is for one shot prepared according to the recipe above using sugar free cherry gelatin dessert mix and diet cola.
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is calculated using online tools such as those available at cronometer.com or verywellfit.com. We make every attempt to ensure that this information is calculated correctly, but this information should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. In addition, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition-fact sources, databases, and the algorithms used. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful. Under no circumstances will PattyCakesPantry.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information provided.
One thought on “Gelled Cherry Rum and Coke Shots”