I don’t know who was the first person to come up with this simple and delicious way to make brownies, but if I ever find them, I will definitely thank them. These brownies don’t taste the same as traditional brownies, but they are very good. The addition of black beans to the mixture makes them lower in fat and higher in fiber than regular brownies, too. The fact that they can be made with only two, or three, ingredients which makes them easier to make. At least, that’s what Josef says on his blog. He kindly allowed me to use some of his photos on my site.
All you need to do is pour your boxed brownie mix into a bowl. Then open and drain a can of black beans. A word of caution about the black beans, though. Ensure that the ingredients in your beans are only beans, salt, and water. Trust me when I say that beans that contain onions and garlic will give you an undesirable end result.
The beans and water are then blended until they achieve a smooth consistency, then the beans are added to the brownie mix. This is mixed well. 1/2 cup chocolate chips can be added to the brownie mix at this time if you like. Another recipe has an additional 1/2 cup of chocolate chips sprinkled on the top of the batter prior to baking.
Here’s the printable recipe. Thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans (make sure beans do not contain onions or garlic)
- 1 cup water
- 1 box brownie mix
- ½ to 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Either return beans to can and add enough water to the beans to refill the can and pour into a blender OR place the drained and rinsed beans along with 1 cup of water into a blender.
- Blend beans until they are smooth and completely pureed.
- Add bean puree to the brownie mix and mix well until well incorporated.
- Add ½ cup optional chocolate chips to the mix and stir.
- Pour into a greased baking pan 8X8 or 9X13 depending upon the recommendations of your brownie mix.
- If you are using chocolate chips, sprinkle the other ½ cup evenly on top of the brownies.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until done.
Thank you Josef for letting me use your photos for my instructions. You’re awesome.