This soup is one of my favorites. It’s a very easy recipe and is delicious. My favorite part is the layer of chips and melted cheese on top of the bowl of soup, but the whole thing is a special treat.
This recipe begins with ground or chopped chicken that is sautéed with onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. The mixture is combined with tomatoes with green chilies, beans, corn, broth, and spices before being simmered until the flavors are fully combined.
The soup is ladled into oven safe bowls and topped with tortilla chips and shredded cheese before being popped into the oven (or under the broiler depending upon the type of bowls you are using) to melt the cheese.
Here’s the printable recipe. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound finely minced chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 carrot shredded or finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or water mixed with bouillon or better than bouillon)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (or more to taste)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- Heat oil in a 4-6 quart pot.
- Add onion, chicken, and garlic and saute for a few minutes until onion begins to become translucent.
- Add celery and onions to pan and continue to saute until vegetables begin to release their liquid.
- Add broth, black beans, corn, and tomatoes and stir to mix well.
- Add chili powder and cumin, stirring to incorporate spices into the soup.
- Bring pot to a full rolling boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and allow to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle soup into oven proof bowls.
- Squeeze a wedge of lime into the bowl (optional).
- Top soup with tortilla chips and shredded cheese and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.