This recipe is similar to one that’s been floating around the internet for some time. I intended to publish my version of the recipe this summer, but I was too busy with work to get the blog post finished. It’s a great summertime recipe because it doesn’t require any baking, and the resultant “cake” is delicious. Baker’s Man was amazed at how much it tasted like an eclair, and Sue Chef loved it. Food Critic and Bus Boy abstained from this one, but several of my coworkers shared in the dessert and loved it.
The entire thing is made by alternately layering graham crackers with a vanilla pudding and cool whip mixture. After the third and final layer of graham crackers is placed on top, a layer of chocolate icing is spread over the top. The “cake” is then refrigerated overnight to allow the graham crackers to soften a bit. This gives a better illusion of the pastry that is part of a cream puff or an eclair.
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1 (14.4 oz) box graham crackers
- 2 (4 serving size) boxed of instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) carton of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups powdered sugar.
- Combine milk, pudding mix and vanilla extract and mix until pudding is beginning to set.
- Fold in carton of frozen whipped topping until well combined.
- Place a layer of graham crackers into the bottom of a 9X13 inch pan so that the sides of the crackers are touching and the bottom of the pan is covered. You will have to break some crackers to make them fit.
- Carefully spread ½ of the pudding/whipped topping mixture on top of the graham crackers.
- Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture.
- Spread the remaining pudding on top of this layer of graham crackers.
- Top with another layer of graham crackers.
- PREPARE THE TOPPING
- Melt butter over medium-low heat
- Remove from heat and stir in milk and cocoa
- Add powdered sugar and stir until completely blended.
- Pour this evenly over the top layer of graham crackers, using a spatula to entirely cover the top.
- Cover pan and place in refrigerator for at least 8 hours, but it's better if it can sit for 24 hours before you eat is.
One thought on “Chocolate Eclair Cake”