The holiday season is upon us and for my family that means there is usually some expectation that I will bake cookies for some member of my household to take to school, work, or a party somewhere. With a busy work schedule, the task of making cookies can sometimes be overwhelming, and I don’t want to run to the store to buy that expensive pre-made cookie dough. Instead, I have a simpler and less expensive solution–The Cake Mix Cookie.
To make the Cake Mix Cookie you need to remember a simple math problem:
Do you remember the math problem? Can you visualize it in your mind? That’s very good because that’s how you will know what to use in the recipe.
You need 1 cake mix, 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of vegetable oil. That’s all you need to make basic cookies. Of course, you can always add other ingredients to make things more exciting. You can even switch out the oil for softened butter.
Here’s a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies.
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup of a mild flavored oil (corn, sunflower, canola, or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Pour cake mix into a bowl
- Stir in eggs and oil
- Mix until well incorporated
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies are done when the edges are set.
The really nice thing about cake mix cookies is that you can wow your friends with cookies that you might not ordinarily come up with. Consider the following possibilities.
6. Chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. (Devil’s food cake mix with 1 cup white chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts)
7. Cranberry Orange Cookies –Use an orange cake mix and stir in 1 cup dried cranberries.
Using cake mix as the basis for your cookies simplifies your life, and makes it possible to present your coworkers with a plate of red velvet cookies without breaking a sweat.
Try out our recipe and let me know what combinations for cake mix cookies you come up with on your own. Thanks for stopping by Patty Cake’s Pantry.