This salad was supposed to be made with black beans, but I made a little mistake. When I was preparing the salad, I inadvertently grabbed and opened a can of kidney beans instead of black beans. With that one error, this salad changed from what I had imagined to something deliciously different. I used the techniques from my faux homemade salsa recipe to give the illusion that this dish was more complicated to prepare, but there’s a minimum of chopping required for the recipe. The entire dish can be assembled in about 10 minutes.
Many variations of this salad are possible by simply changing the varieties of beans and by using different types of salsa. It’s versatility is one of the best things about this salad. It’s great as a side dish for barbecued meats, or it can be served with chips as a salsa. However you serve it, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
Here’s the printable recipe. Give this simple salad a try and let us know what you think.
Thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 16 ounce jar of picante sauce type salsa (mild, medium, or hot according to your preference)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves, chopped and divided
- Set aside 1 tablespoon each of sliced onions and cilantro.
- Place beans, corn, tomato, and salsa in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add the larger portions of green onions and cilantro and toss together .
- Sprinkle the top with reserved cilantro and onion.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve as a salad or as salsa with a side of chips.