This is a simple and delicious chicken recipe that I make frequently. The process is very simple, and the final product is very tasty. I prefer using boneless chicken breasts when I cook it on the stove and bone in pieces when I make it in the crockpot.
This recipe is versatile because it can be cooked immediately, but if you want to do this ahead, all of the ingredients can be placed into a zip top bag and stored in the freezer then thawed in the refrigerator for 24 hours before beginning with the cooking process. (Sauteing the onions is optional for this process.) Once the meat is thawed, it can be cooked on the stove top or in the crock pot.I realize this photo is blurry and I have no idea why. This month, I will begin to work on improving my photography, but in my defense, I took these photos about a year ago.
The meat can be served atop rice or noodles, or it can be served on it’s own topped with extra sauce. If you prefer, you can shred the chicken and serve it on rolls.
Here’s your printable recipe, give it a try and let us know what you think.
Thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup catsup
- ⅓ cup water
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed celery seeds
- 2 lbs skinless bone in chicken or 1 pound boneless chicken
- STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Heat oil in large pan with lid and add onion.
- Saute until onion becomes transulucent.
- Add remaining ingredients except chicken and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add chicken and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Serve over noodles or rice.
- SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours.
- Serve over noodles or rice