This started out as some leftover beans that I needed to use up. I started adding a little bit of this and a little bit of that and before I knew it, I had a plan. At first, I considered making nachos, but I decided that I should just add everything to a 9×13 inch pan and bake it together to make a baked taco casserole.
Baker’s Man was initially skeptical, but when he tasted it, he declared it a winner. I served it with an assortment of toppings–salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, diced avocado, sour cream and black olives. Each of us added our favorite toppings at the table. It was simple, and delicious. We will definitely be making this one again.
Here’s your recipe. Give it a try and leave a comment to let us know what you think. As always, thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- Tortilla Chips
- 1 (15 ounce) can of refried beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole pinto beans, undrained
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped green onions
- Diced avocado
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives, sliced or whole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown meat in skillet and season with taco seasoning.
- Combine the two cans of beans and set aside.
- Spray a 9X13 pan with non stick spray
- Place a layer of tortilla chips in the bottom of the pan.
- Top with half of the bean mixture and then half of the meat mixture
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese
- Spread out another layer of tortilla chips
- Top with beans, meat, and cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes until cheese is melted and dish is heated through.
- Cut into individual pieces and top with salsa, lettuce, tomato, green onion, avocado, sour cream, and black olives.