This is not an original idea. In fact, the recipe is something that I saw on the YouTube channel Strictly Dumpling. You can watch the video for Whole Tomato in Rice Cooker to see how he makes this dish using a rice cooker. I was feeling too lazy to get my rice cooker out of the cabinet, so I made this on the stove top.
I also used two ripe Roma tomatoes because I didn’t have any large tomatoes. The final result was delicious and was great accompaniment to my Maple Dijon Glazed Salmon.
Thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- 1 large ripe tomato or two ripe Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 Tbl of olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper.
- 2½ cups water
- Rinse rice and place into sauce pan.
- Add water to pan
- Pour in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Nestle your tomato, or tomatoes, into the center of the pot into the rice.
- Place lid on the pan and turn the stove on to medium and bring pan to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed. .
- Turn off heat and allow the pot to sit on the stove with the lid in place for 5 more minutes.
- Remove lid and stir the tomatoes into the rice, distributing evenly.
- Serve alone or as a side with your favorite entree.