Fried Cabbage with Ham is one of those simple and delicious recipes that just sort of happened one day. I love cabbage. It’s economical, stores well, and it’s readily available during the cooler months of the year. Fried Cabbage with Ham is easy to prepare and can be served as either a side dish or an entrée, depending upon the appetites and tastes of your family members. Accompanied by some corn bread, this makes a satisfying meal. I already have on recipe for stir fried cabbage on my website, but that one has more Asian flavors. This one is pure country. It’s the sort of thing that my mother would make to go with boiled, or fried, potatoes, and we love it. In spite of some grumbling from my family, there are rarely any leftovers when I make this recipe.
What you will need to prepare fried cabbage with ham:
From the Pantry:
- Olive oil
From the Refrigerator:
- Leftover Ham
From the Root Cellar
Give our recipe for Fried Cabbage with Ham a try, and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
Thanks for Visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium to large onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 head of cabbage, cored, quartered, and sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter with olive oil in the bottom of a large dutch oven or large, deep skillet with a lid over medium heat.
- Add onion and ham to pot and saute, stirring until the onion is translucent and the ham is beginning to brown.
- Add cabbage to pot and toss well to distribute the ham and onion throughout.
- Add ¼ cup water and cover pot.
- Immediately cover pot, and reduce heat to low.
- Allow to steam for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove lid and add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Toss cabbage, onion, and ham mixture well making sure to bring the cabbage from the bottom to the top.
- Cover and allow to steam again for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Remove lid, and check cabbage for doneness.
- If you like your cabbage a little more tender, you may need to add a little more water and continue to cook it. If you prefer it more crisp tender, it may be done at this point.
- Take a taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
|Amount Per Serving|
% Daily Value
Total Fat 30.4g
Saturated Fat 12.3g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 19.4g
Dietary Fiber 6.9g
Vitamin A 11%
Vitamin C 121%