Ceviche Tostadas are one of my favorite things, but being vegan for a month means I can’t have fish. Fortunately, I had already come up with a recipe for cauliflower ceviche which was liked by everyone in the family. Granted, Baker’s Man complained that I shouldn’t call it ceviche because there was no fish or shrimp in the recipe. I solved that problem when I prepared these Ceviche Tostadas by telling him that we were having tostadas with cauliflower salad on top. He willingly ate them without complaint because there was no expectation of seafood in the mix. I call this a victory, even if I couldn’t tell him they were Vegan Ceviche Tostadas.
I have a source for inexpensive cauliflower, so I made a second batch of Cauliflower Ceviche, but this time, I decided to serve Ceviche Tostadas. They’re a simple and light lunch that’s perfect for a hot day, but they’re filling enough to take satisfy all of the men in our house. Adding a side of beans and fried corn helped to ensure they didn’t leave the table hungry.
What will you need to make this recipe?
From the Pantry:
- tostada shells
From the Root Cellar
- red onion
From the Refrigerator:
- Roma tomato
- hot sauce (optional)
- tomato juice
To make a proper tostada de ceviche, I am told you must spread mayonnaise on the tostada shell before adding the ceviche. Then, you must add finely shredded cabbage on top before topping with sliced avocado. Since cabbage and cauliflower are both in the brassica family, I decided to omit the cabbage, but avocado is good on everything. For my vegan diet, I think that avocado has taken the spot held by bacon in my omnivorous diet. It goes with everything, and I love it, so it had to go on top of this ceviche tostada. I think that if there are any leftovers, I might try stuffing half of an avocado with this vegan ceviche.
I assembled the tostadas and served them to my family. They were devoured as they were proclaimed “delicious.” I will definitely be making these again this summer when it’s too hot to turn on the stove.
Give our recipe for Cauliflower Ceviche Tostadas a try and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
Thanks for visiting Patty Cake’s Pantry.
- 1 head cauliflower, finely chopped ($1.00)
- Juice from 4 limes ($0.80)
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped ($0.40)
- 1 Persian cucumber, finely chopped ($0.25)
- 1 Roma tomato diced ($0.40)
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped ($0.34)
- ¼ teaspoon salt ($0.01)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ($0.01)
- ½ cup tomato juice ($0.20)
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise ($2.38)
- 1½ medium avocados, sliced ($1.36)
- 12 tostada shells ($1.00)
- Mix cauliflower, onion, and lime juice and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Chop cucumber, and tomato and add to the bowl with the cauliflower and onion mixture.
- Remove cilantro leaves from stems and chop.
- Add chopped cilantro to bowl with cauliflower mixture.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of vegetable mixture.
- Add tomato juice.
- Mix well to combine.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow flavors to fully combine.
- When ready to serve, spread a tostada shell with about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise then top with the cauliflower ceviche. (about ⅔ cup of ceviche)
- Arrange slices of avocado on top of ceviche tostada and serve with hot sauce on the side. .
Nutrition information is for one tostada shell, spread with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and topped with about 2/3 of a cup of the ceviche and a few slices of avocado.
|Amount Per Serving|
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13.9g
Saturated Fat 3.5g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 26.2g
Dietary Fiber 3.5g
Vitamin D 0%
Disclaimer: Nutritional information is calculated using online tools such as those available at cronometer.com or verywellfit.com. We make every attempt to ensure that this information is calculated correctly, but this information should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. In addition, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition-fact sources, databases and the algorithms used. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful. Under no circumstances will PattyCakesPantry.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information provided.